Youth & Educators
Annual Cookie Decorating Wednesday, Dec. 11
3-5:30 p.m. - Pre-register (or walk-ins
welcome as supplies last!)
Train Storytime (plus see model trains!) Saturday, December 14, 10:30 a.m.
Playtime with Santa, Tuesday, Dec. 17 (babies & toddlers) Pre-Register.
Santa at Storytime, Wednesday, Dec. 18, 9:30 a.m.
Games and Other Fun Stuff to Do Online
View the monthly online calendar
or see a summary of regular youth programming.
Recommended Reads & Resources
Homework Help and Fun Stuff
Parents and Educator Info
- Reading Level (Lexile) info & AR level
- Info about Movie Content for Parents, also Internet Movie Database
- "Best of" & Thematic Booklists for Teachers
- Thematic booklists from Cooperative Children's Book Center
- American Library Association Children's Recommended Books
- Parents' Choice Awards (books, media, toys, & games)
- Internet Safety information
- Shmoop Learning Guides & Teacher Resources
- Recommended literacy sites
Reading with Babies - how to read with babies, book recommendations
Reading Rockets - resources & tips for encouraging reading at all ages
Jim Trelease's site (the "read aloud" guru)
PBS Raising a Reader resources
Washington Learning - early literacy resources, print-outs
Reading is Fundamental (RIF)
Reach Out and Read - early literacy program
Early Literacy & Storytime resources by Southwest Iowa Library Services
- Good planning resources for youth programming/activities
Preschool Rainbow - early childhood planning resource
Playful Learning - printables, resources, etc.
dltk-kids.com - lots of printables, patterns, favorite characters, etc.
Spanish/English planning resource: Digame un Cuento
Family Fun - find all kinds of crafts, games, printables and more!
- Educator Status and Class Visit Resources
Dowload application packet for an Educator Status card
Lists of thematic Story Kits available to check out with educator card
Print & distribute a "Getting Your First Library Card" bookmark (for young children)
- Note about GROUPS visiting the library: For the best experience for both groups and the general public, the library requires any non-related group of 8 or more to please schedule their visit by calling the library at 754-5738. This policy applies to both programmed visits (where library staff leads a tour or provides another program) as well as less formal visits (just bringing a group to use the library facilities or check out.)